Fire Tracker, KPCC's tool for following & researching California wildfires, contains fire information displayed by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection -- also known as CalFire -- which protects more than 31 million acres of California's privately-owned wildlands and provides emergency services in 36 of the State's 58 counties.
About the data
- Data and information contained in Fire Tracker is updated three times a day and is based on the latest updates from CalFire and information from the U.S. Forest Service's InciWeb Incident Information System. As such, Fire Tracker is a news tool and does not contain the latest information from emergency management officials, nor should it be used to make decisions that affect you and your family.
- Mapped locations are based on the approximate location of the fire as released by CalFire and should not be used to make decisions that affect you and your family.
- Data for fires that have reached 100 percent containment may contain inaccuracies.
- In cases where data for a particular item is not available or not clear, we display it as "n/a", or not available.
- The 2012 aggregate data is based on data from the CalFire archives.
- The 2013 aggregate data is based on the latest update from CalFire.
- Air quality data is periodically updated based on AirNow ratings and based on an approximate zipcode.